Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing - Cooking Light's Virtual Supper Club

Ahh, Spring.  It's right around the corner.  I think we're all ready for a little sunshine and warmer weather.  It's March, a new month, and another "get-together" of the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club.  This month's theme is "A Taste of Spring".

I chose Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing (click here for printable recipe) to represent this month's theme.  I'm seeing strawberries in my gorcery store lately and I couldn't be happier.  Strawberries are one of my all-time favorite fruits and what a great way to enjoy them then with this salad.  This salad is light and refreshing.  It's a great way to get your daily serving of fruits, vegetables and nuts.  The sweetness of the strawberries along with the crunch of the lettuce and toasted almonds is, well, literally, a taste of spring.  The poppy seed dressing is also on the sweet side which goes perfectly in this salad.  The dressing is very easy to make and very good.  A little drizzle goes a long way. 

Here is the rest of our Spring menu.  Be sure to check out each one for their posts and photos.

Jamie (me) from Mom's Cooking Club - Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
Val from More Than Burnt Toast - Rosemary-Crusted Rack of Lamb with Balsamic Sauce
Aggie from Aggie's Kitchen - Spring Giardiniera
Shelby from The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch - Zucchini Ribbons with Saffron Couscous   
Helene from La Cuisine D'Helene - Raspberry Almond Crumb Cake

If Spring hasn't arrived in the corner of your world yet, I hope these recipes bring a Taste of Spring and a little sunshine your way.


Enjoy!

Mom's Cooking Club Lesson:  Variations to this salad: add other fruits like grapes, blueberries or raspberries.  The recipe calls for romaine lettuce. Try it with baby spinach leaves (I added this to my romaine lettuce), spring mix or other variations of lettuce.  It would be great with some grilled boneless chicken breast added in.  This would make a very healthy main meal.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jamie, I love fruit on my salad. The recipe looks great ... and so does your new blog design. Congrats!!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This recipe looks so delicious Jamie. I can't wait to try it with sun-ripened strawberries. Thank you so much for bringing it to this months supper club!!!!

Aggie said...

I love this. I bought a ton of strawberries at Publix the other day, I need to use them. I might actually make this for dinner today since I have all the ingredients! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Patsyk said...

I'm jealous tht you've got strawberries already! That salad is gorgeous and I can't wait to give it a try once we've got strawberries available.

Barbara Bakes said...

Your salad looks fabulous! Reminds me of one I always buy at Zupas!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I have made an appetizer with fresh pears and goat cheese~ thanks for letting me come for supper!

La Bella Cooks said...

This is such a beautiful salad and I am dying to try the dressing.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) said...

Mmmmm...Spring just tastes sooo delicious!

Shelby said...

This looks great Jamie! I love that the dressing is slightly sweet! I might have to toss a few almonds on top too! :)

Diana's Cocina said...

I like that the dressing has 5 ingrediants. I can't wait to try this.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Oh my this will be a recipe to try when we have fresh strawberries. What a beautiful salad.

Laura in Paris said...

Your strawberries did bring a little spark of spring !

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Love this salad. Great pictures too!

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs