Monday, January 4, 2010

Salmon with Sweet and Spicy Rub


Here's a great healthy meal to start the year off right.  I first heard of this salmon recipe when my sister-in-law, Aggie posted it on her blog, Aggie's Kitchen last April.  This is one of my favorite ways to make salmon.  The rub is a combination of sweet and slightly smokey.  Even though the rub uses a tablespoon of chili powder, it's not on the spicy side.  The salmon always comes out so moist and flavorful when I make it this way.  You can have it skinned and rub the spice mixture on both sides or leave the skin on and just put the rub on the flesh side.  I usually grill (actually my husband does) a big piece of salmon, about 1 1/2 lbs, and then cut it into serving sizes once it's cooked.  You could also broil or pan saute the fish.  Team this up with some rice, sweet potatoes, side of veggies or a salad for one heart healthy meal.

Salmon with Sweet and Spicy Rub
Recipe from Ellie Krieger, Food Network

Ingredients

Cooking spray
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, skin and any pin bones removed
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

Coat your grill or a grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium heat. While the grill is heating, combine the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Brush each salmon fillet with 1/2 teaspoon of the oil, then rub each fillet with about 1/2 tablespoon of the spice mixture. Grill the salmon, flesh side down, until charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the salmon and cook another 5 to 6 minutes for medium doneness. For well done fish, cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to a platter and serve immediately.

 


Enjoy!

Mom's Cooking Club Lesson:  per the Nutritional listing of this salmon on Foodnetwork.com, it is full of Protein, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12 and Potassium, just to name a few.  

I am not one to make New Year Resolutions but I do like the fresh start of a new year and to make goals for the upcoming year.  I have many goals this year.  Some of my blog goals are to update my blog template for a new look.  I also want to share more healthy meals like this one and more easy weeknight meals.  Of course I will still showcase my baked treats because I really like to bake.  It's all in moderation, right?  I also want to challenge myself more.  For example, I want to conquer my fear of yeast.  Yes, I want to make bread!  I want to work with ingredients I've never had or cooked with before like: butternut squash, fennel, risotto and eggplant.  I want to learn how to make pie crust.  Yes, I want to make pies!  I will continue to share my adventures in the kitchen with you and bring you more simple and down home recipes.  Thanks again for sharing time with me, my blog and my recipes in 2009.          

11 comments:

Rachel said...

This looks great...I love salmon!

Patsyk said...

I don't make salmon often enough! Your rub looks like it has so much flavor and would compliment the salmon perfectly.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I will have to keep this in mind...we love salmon too!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the combo of the brown sugar and chili powder. Salmon is so nutritious and happily, it's delicious too.

Laura said...

Oh man ... Jamie, this is the best looking salmon ... EVER !!! We will have to try this recipe , soon :)

La Bella Cooks said...

I need to give this recipe a try since I have yet to come across a salmon recipe that will please everyone in the family. This sounds delicious.

Jamie said...

A very Happy & Healthy 2010 to you and your family (and dogs of course). I have been so remiss visiting here! And now you have tempted me with this luscious salmon with this fabulous sweet and spicy rub. It sounds and looks sooo good. Just like I like it. Mouth watering!

Jamie said...

PS Marty is getting whiter around the face and he's going bald. Yipes!

Barbara Bakes said...

I think the rub would be great on any kind of meat. What a gorgeous color. Love you goals for the new year!

Aggie said...

I love this recipe and so glad it's one of your faves. I haven't had salmon at home in a good while...when I get back from my trip I will have to put it back into rotation. I love your resolutions...they are all good! Can't wait to see them all turn out!

Talita said...

Oh, I love fish! This salmon looks so delicious!! I'm drooling!

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs