Saturday, January 30, 2010

For your information....

Hello all!  How many of you are cereal eaters?  We're big fans of cereal in my household.  Well, General Mills through MyBlogSpark passed on some exciting news to me that I want to share with my readers.  There will also be a $1.00 off coupon for one of four General Mills cereals at the end of this post.   

"Recently, General Mills announced a commitment to further reduce sugar in cereals advertised to kids under 12 to single digit grams of sugar per serving. The company has already been reducing sugar in cereals while increasing key nutrients, such as calcium and vitamin D, and providing whole grain."

I think that is great news.  Even though I limit the sugar cereals I buy for my family, anytime a product is made "healthier", such as reducing sugar, it helps me make better food choices for my family. 

"Did you know that ready-to-eat cereal eaters consume less fat, less cholesterol and more fiber than non-cereal eaters? Cereals also deliver important vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients, making cereal a top source of key nutrients in children’s diets."


Other cereal benefits: (statement by General Mills through MyBlogSpark) 


Ready-to-eat cereals, including presweetened cereals, account for only 5% of sugar in children’s diets.


Ready-to-eat cereal is the No. 1 source of whole grains in a child’s diet today.


More frequent cereal eaters tend to have healthier body weights and lower Body Mass Index measures.


Studies also demonstrate the benefits of eating breakfast. A 1998 study showed that children who eat breakfast tend to perform better at school. Compared to children who skip breakfast, children who eat breakfast score higher on tests, are less likely to miss class or be tardy, have fewer reported discipline problems, and make fewer trips to the office.


Disclosure:  MyBlogSpark and General Mills provided me with the information stated above, the online coupon link as well as VIP coupons for 4 free boxes of General Mills cereal.

Mom's Cooking Club Lesson:  Click HERE to read about General Mills efforts in reducing sugar in many of their cereal brands especially those marketed for children.  See charts below for a detailed look at the lowered and current sugar levels in General Mills cereals.  I hope you found this information interesting and helpful. 

  

  

1 comment:

Laura in Paris said...

Yes, I love cereals, but I think they have been advertised as good for your health forgetting all the additives in the recipe to make you eat more! I only have muesli (without fruit or sugar) and when my girls were little, we only had corn flakes or special k. I have always watched the amount of fat and sugar in whatever processed food I buy.
WATCH ALL THOSE HIDDEN CALORIES that are not adding nutritious elements to your diet!!

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs