Thursday, May 21, 2009

Cooking Light Week - Day Four: New Potatoes with Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette

Welcome to Day Four of Cooking Light week! Make sure you head over to Aggie's Kitchen for Day One and Day Three recipes. I wanted to do a side dish and this was an easy pick since I love potatoes and garlic. Believe it or not, I've never roasted garlic before. Where have I been? Anyway, this is a different but very good way to eat potatoes. I have to admit, I'm used to my garlic roasted potatoes that I usually make so at first I wasn't sure about the tangy mustard and vinegar flavor. But the more I ate them the more I liked them. My husband loved them. The kids just wanted the plain roasted ones so I put some aside for them before adding the vinaigrette. We ate this with grilled rib eye steaks. So, try something new today. It may become a favorite.
New Potatoes with Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
7 garlic cloves, unpeeled
3 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
3 tablespoons minced chives
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, garlic, and potatoes in a roasting pan or jelly-roll pan; toss well to coat. Bake at 400° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until tender, stirring after 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
3. Squeeze garlic cloves to extract pulp. Discard skins. Combine garlic pulp, remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, chives, vinegar, and mustard in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add potatoes to bowl; toss well to coat
.


It's a Potato Parade getting ready to march in the oven!
Enjoy!

Well, I wonder what Aggie has in store for you tomorrow. Go to
Aggie's Kitchen to find out what delicious recipe she's cooked up.

Mom's Cooking Club Lesson: This recipe's title says New Potatoes but the ingredient list says small red potatoes. Sometimes the term new potatoes are used to describe all small waxy potatoes. New potatoes are basically immature potatoes harvested in spring & early summer. They have high moisture content and a creamy texture. My grocery store had a 3lb bag of petite red potatoes which is what I used in this recipe.



4 comments:

Aggie said...

Awesome Jamie. Those potatoes look so good...I love that it's a vinaigrette! What a great side dish!

Peanut butter and Jelly said...

jamie,
The potatoes look great. I might have to have nancy make them so I can try them.
Paula & Jacie

Patsyk said...

I would love that vinaigrette! My hubby not so much, but that's ok as it would leave more for me! YUM!

Anonymous said...

I love roasted potatoes. The vinaigrette is a fun new twist. I just updated our blogroll and added you!

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs